Monday, April 16, 2012

Back In Business

Well we are back in bee business!  It feels great to have bees back at home!
Let talk about how it went.

I installed 3 hives.
First Hive was a little tricky. This hive was the top bar hive. Everything went well till I forgot to remove the cork from the queen cage after dumping the package of bees on top of her.  So I had to dig her out and remove the cork so she could be released.
Second and Third hive went well and this time I remembered to remove the cork! lol


This season started out with a great experience.  Looking forward to learn how to work a top bar hive and hopefully be able to harvest some honey this year.
The Second and Third hive have mostly drawn out comb, so that helps with them getting started.
The next time to check on them will be in 4 days to check if the ladies like their new queen and released her. Pics of the new hives will be up as soon as I get some taken.  I left the camera at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment